How You Can Protect Yourself from Session Hijacking with Webroot Antivirus?
A session hijacking occurs when hacker takes over your internet session especially when you are doing internet banking like checking your credit card balance, shop from online stores or if you are paying your bills online etc. These hijackers basically attack on your browser or web application sessions. In this type of attack, attacker can do anything on your site and can make fool the website into thinking that they are you.
This attack works if the unsuspected users log into the account, if the attacker gets the user session id and takes over its session without being noticed, if the original internet user is using internet and the attackers steal money from user’ s bank account or takes its valuable data and demand for a ransom etc. Hence, Webroot team wants to aware their users about Session hijacking and how you can protect yourselves from it with the help of Webroot. The user can install Webroot via www.webroot.com/safe. It takes less space in your gadget but gives full protection from malware and viruses. In this blog, you will read how you can protect yourself from session hijacking.
Protect Yourself from Session Hijacking with Webroot Antivirus:
- Avoid Using Public Wi-Fi: It is advised the users should avoid using public Wi-Fi, when they are doing important transactions like internet banking such as banking, shopping online or when they log into your email or social media accounts. Because, it might be possible hackers is sitting next to your table and using packet sniffing to steal session cookies and other important information.
- Use a Virtual Private Network: If it is very essential to use public Wi-Fi, then you must use virtual private network (VPN) to keep yourself safe and secure yourself from session hijackers. A VPN shield your IP address and makes your online activities private by generating a “private tunnel”. It also encrypts your sending and receiving data.
- Install Webroot Security Software: It is highly recommended that you should install Webroot antivirus through weboot.com/safe in your devices to protect yourself from external and internal threat. You should update your device and software regularly and can also set it to automatic updates. This Security software immediately detects and blocks the viruses and protects you from malware attackers which perform session hijacking.
- Look for Scams: It is suggested that you should avoid clicking on any link which is provided in the email send to you by unknown sender. If you want to click on any link then you should first verified that it is from a legitimate sender. Because, Session hijackers can send you the malicious email with a suspicious link in it to click. And when you click on this suspicious link then it will automatically install malware in your device.
- Use Reputable Sites: You should use reputable sites which are from banks, email providers, and also social media sites as this will help you to prevent session hijacking. Reputable sites always use HTTPS on the entire site, not only for their homepage. This will close the security loopholes. If the user uses non reputable sites then this will lead to a session hijacking attack.
The above method will help to protect you from Session Hijacking. If the user needs more details, then you can go to Webroot official site via www.webroot.com/safe.